- This event has passed.
You Know We Belong Together: European Premiere
August 18 @ 7:30 pm - September 27 @ 10:00 pm
From Black Swan Theatre Company, Western Australia, actor and presenter Julia Hales has watched every single episode of Home and Away, but she’s never seen another person with Down’s Syndrome in the cast. In You Know We Belong Together, Julia and a cast of six actors put their own lives on stage, sharing their experiences through monologues, sketches, video, dance and song to call for greater inclusivity for a community rarely represented on stage or screen. It is a deeply personal exploration of the frustrations and aspirations of living with Down’s Syndrome
You Know We Belong Together is a joyful celebration of community spirit and a call for greater inclusivity from a community rarely represented on stage or screen. This live documentary has had sold out seasons in Australia and is at once a universal story of love, loss and friendship, and a deeply personal exploration of the frustrations and aspirations of living with Down syndrome. All set in the famous diner at Summer Bay.
Julia and a cast of six actors from Western Australia put their own lives on stage, mixing their experiences and day-to-day realities with monologues, sketches, video, dance and song. A BSL interpreter joins the cast at the diner’s tables, becoming part of a story that is an uplifting blend of the personal and political.
Southbank Centre Dates and Times
- Performances 18 – 19 August 2022, 7.30pm
- Performances 20 August 2022, 2.30pm & 7.30pm
75th Edinburgh International Festival Dates and Times
- Performances 24 – 27 August 2022, 7.30pm
- Performance 27 August 2022, 2pm
- British Sign Language interpreted performance 24–27 Aug 2.30pm, 7.30pm
- Audio described performance 26 Aug, 7.30pm
- Captioned performance 27 Aug, 2.30pm
- A touch tour for this production is available before the 7.30pm performance on 26 August